Environmental Advocacy Groups
There are a number of groups in Pennsylvania working for environmental justice. Below is a list of some of the groups you can connect with directly to support their efforts.
(Source: Philadelphia Office of Sustainability)
- 350.org – Fights for solutions to the climate crisis that science and justice demand
- A Call to the Bar – Lawyers demanding action on climate change
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby – Advocacy organization with sole purpose of passing strong climate change legislation
- Climate & Urban Systems Partnership – Stakeholders who share a passion for engaging residents in climate change issues in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
- Energy Coordinating Agency– Helps people conserve energy and promotes a sustainable and socially equitable energy future for all in the Philadelphia region
- Keystone Energy Efficiency Alliance – Promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy industries in Pennsylvania
- PennEnvironment – Protecting the places we love, advancing the environmental values we share, and winning real results for our environment.
- PennFuture – Leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. PennFuture’s Advocates for Conservation and the Environment (ACE) organizes teams of volunteers to educate their state and federal legislators about conservation and environmental issues. To learn more, visit the program webpage.
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council – Manages challenges facing Pennsylvania’s water, land, and air resources; organizes the Deep Decarbonization Study and Conference.
- Pennsylvania Interfaith Power & Light – Communities of faith responding to climate change
- Physicians for Social Responsibility – Physicians, nurses and other health professionals addressing the greatest threats to public health
- Sierra Club – Moving Beyond Fossil Fuels Campaign
- Union of Concerned Scientists – Science for a healthy planet and safer world
Other Pennsylvania groups are also supporting Environmental Justice with renewable energy campaigns:
- Food and Water Watch’s Off Fossil Fuels campaign seeks to achieve 100% renewable energy sources by 2035. Learn more here.
- EQAT’s Power Local Green Jobs Campaign is encouraging PECO to source 20% of it’s energy from renewal sources by 2025.
- The Pennsylvania Council of Churches’ Interfaith Global Climate Change Campaign seeks to educate congregations about global climate change, and to encourage action within congregations and by individuals.